Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

 


Boulder, CO

A guide to the wilderness of the West.

Paneling

Blog

Paneling

Derek Bartz

Covering the Walls

Most van builds you see use plywood sheets to cover the walls, but I chose to use paneling once again for the Promaster.  I re-purposed some old barn wood I picked up for free on my last van build, but this time around I was going for a more polished look.  I shopped around a bit for some paneling at Home Depot and online, but everything either looked really cheap or was WAY too expensive.  Luckily I had access to an industrial wood shop and had some options to create my own paneling from scratch.  I love this stuff; it turned out really great.  

Here's what I did:

Choose the Materials

I went to a couple local lumber yards to have a look at a couple different types of wood I had in mind for the paneling.  I was looking for something durable and easy to work with.  Price was also something to keep in mind.  Initially I was thinking either Poplar, Doug Fir, or Soft Maple.  But at the last minute I caught a glimpse of some Beech that I instantly knew was the winner.  Clean lines, very few knots, and I love the subtle speckle when examined a bit closer.  It was also reasonably priced.  I bought about $300 of rough cut 6/4" x 10' boards; (I think about 100 board feet?).

Not too busy, but quite a bit of character.

Mill

I had never milled wood like this before, which was probably a good thing (I had no idea how much work it would actually be).  We ripped the boards in half using a table saw, slowly increasing the height of the blade with each pass.  To finish off the middle, we ran the wider boards through the band saw.  

We then sent the boards through the jointer & planer ending with a thickness of 3/8".  This was probably a little thicker than the boards needed to be; making them thinner would have reduced some weight.  I probably could have saved a little money too by purchasing wood that I didn't have to plane down so much.  When paneling the doors I ended up putting the boards back through the planer and brought them down to about a 1/4".

Lastly, using a router, I put a small beveled edge on each side of the boards to help break up the paneling when up on the wall.  

Starting from scratch

Couldn't do this without a heavy duty planer

Router action

Squared, planed, sanded, and routed; all set for finishing.  And yes that was snow on the ground!

Finish

Waxes, oils, varnishes, shellacs, lacquers, water based, paint!?!?  Which one to go with?  I had invested a lot of time into prepping the paneling and it all came down to the finish.  I once again enlisted some help from a professional friend.  He recommended a combination of shellac and a water based urethane finish using a spray gun to apply a smooth, polished layer of each.  The boards got one coat of amber shellac and two coats of the water based urethane.  In between coats I sanded each board lightly using 220 grit sandpaper

In the booth

Drying

Install

I planned to use the paneling to cover as much of the van walls as possible.    Using the framing I had installed, I secured each board with 18 gauge 3/4"-1 1/4" brad nails.  Taking the extra bit of time during the initial framing stages really paid off when putting up the walls.  Anytime things get uneven the paneling becomes difficult to work with. The whole process was a pain, but the paneling looks just as I had envisioned; clean, polished, & modern.  

Some places were easy (such as the long stretches of the walls), but others were a real pain with too much time spent, and materials wasted trying to get it perfect.  The back corners for example I am still trying to figure out.  

Making sure the first few pieces were level is key, but nearly impossible to do considering nothing is level in the van.  

There were numerous places where the metal frame of the van was interfering with the walls being perfectly straight.  I was able to make this fit by making a bunch of passes on the table saw.  

There were numerous places where the metal frame of the van was interfering with the walls being perfectly straight.  I was able to make this fit by making a bunch of passes on the table saw.  

This part where the metal frame stuck out farther than the rest of the wall of the van was tricky.  I boxed it off and covered it with paneling.  

The end result...different lighting

Pretty proud of how this turned out

Michele kept talking about taping up NPS postcards....so I had the idea to recess some picture frames into the sliding door that we could put them in.  Without doing so the door would not have been able to open.  

Love it.

Back door.

Detail around the handle for the back door.